Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Wednesday August 31,2016

Hi everyone,

During Language class this morning the students split into partners and wrote as many adjectives as they could in five minutes. Afterwards we discussed the different ways that adjectives could be classified and came up with several groups to put the words into. By the end, we had a list of adjectives for how something feels, how something sounds/smells/tastes, how many of something, how something looks etc. Way to go!

I am happy to announce that our IXL membership is up and running! Today I showed students how to sign in and navigate the site and we had a few minutes to test it out at the end of the period. Tonight:
Everyone please sign on and make sure you can get into the website easily. The website address is https://www.ixl.com/. I suggest you save this in your bookmarks so its quick and easy for you to get to it each time. Go to Fourth Grade Skills, then scroll down to Money. The two skills I would like you to practice tonight are M.3 Round Money Amounts (https://www.ixl.com/math/grade-4/round-money-amounts) and M.6 Making Change (https://www.ixl.com/math/grade-4/making-change). Please spend 10 minutes practicing each skill.

During Social Studies we got arranged into our discussion circle, which the kids have grown to love, and we all discussed immigrants' contributions to America. Afterwards, students imagined themselves as immigrants and they wrote letters to their family members in Taiwan describing the experience at Ellis/Angel Island and what it was like living in tenements. I encouraged them to use as many awesome adjectives as possible from the list we created this morning.

Huan's Letter:

Dear Ms.Fisher, 

     I am sitting in my tenement with my family writing you this letter. I got out of the boat, it smells like sour garbage. I feel so hungry because there is only really smelly food on the boat. I was disgusted by the food! Then I sprinted to get off the boat. I walked very slowly because it was really crowded. I finally got to the station. The doctor was really polite to me. I was checked for any weapons then I was checked again to make sure I really had no weapons. Then there were guards that looked really strong. Last, I finally passed. Then I saw my family. I was really happy!

                                                                                                From, Huan

Yoko's Letter:

Dear Miss Fisher, 

     I'm in the tenement, this is the tenth day I went in. You can imagine how the sea was, it was dirty, polluted, and smelly. If you were hungry, there is only food and rice. When I got there, I was excited, but it wasn't what I thought it should be. You needed to have a health check, climb stairs, and ask about your safety history. And the most terrible thing is that you have to wait about 7 hours. When you get into America you only can stay in a tenement. You have a disgusting room, and the walls are sticky and slimy. You can't have delicious food, you only can have sour, salty, and burnt food. Well of course it was loud! And it's not colofrul or bright and there aren't a few people, there are a lot of people living in one tenement. 

                                                                                                   From, Yoko

Nathan's Letter:

Dear Ms. Fisher, 

    I am on the painful, stinky boat. It is crowded and there is a huge population. The food on the boat is very, very slimy and hair. Finally, I am at the Angel Island. The doctor is handsome. He is checing me and I am very nervous. The line is infinite and one guy has a disease and he is kicked out of the line, Finally, I am at the tenement. The tenement is the worst place I have ever seen because of the cockroaches and the mice. The bathroom's toilet is very slimy and rough and sticky. It was a very, very rough time for immigrants. I am very sorry and depressed for them. 
                                                                                
                                                                           Love, Nathan


Fiona's Letter:

Dear Miss Fisher, 
                      
Now I'm sitting in the tenement in America. The tenement smells stinky. The bathroom is disgusting and dirty, because everyone in the tenement need to share one toilet. The food is salty and  it smells burnt. I work in a room with no windows, so the room has less fresh air. The ceiling is dripping slimy water on my head! But even if the tenement is awful, I still got into America. I will work hard to earn much more money. I will write many letters to you Miss Fisher! 

                                                                              Love, Fiona

Grace's Letter:

Dear Miss Fisher, 

                  I am sitting in Ellis Island writing a letter to you. There are numerous people in Ellis Island. Ellis island smells very stinky. Ellis Island isn't very fancy. I wait a long time for the examination. The people are disgusting, dirty, and noisy. I pass the examination! I am glad that I am in America. When I go to the tenement it is loud and smells burnt. I go around the city and it was awesome! I am delighted that I am in America. I don't care if the tenement smells bitter. I worry about my family members. I wish you could come too!

                                                                               Love, Grace


                                                                                                                                                           



Teacher Ayrton =)



HOMEWORK:

READING:
*Lesson 3 Vocab test Friday September 2

MATH:
*Workbook page 10 corrections

*IXL M.3 Round Money Amounts and M.6 Round Money Amounts (10 minutes each)

*Chapter 2 Test on Monday September 5 (The study guide is up: http://grade4disk.blogspot.tw/2016/08/chapter-2-compare-order-and-round-whole.html)

SOCIAL STUDIES:
*Chapter 11 Test Friday September 2


No comments:

Post a Comment